Road Trip!!!!


This is one of those rare and prized moments when I am travelling with my aunts and uncles to my cousin Rhulani’s wedding celebration – or rather part 2 thereof– in Thohoyandou, Venda. The first instalment of the wedding was last week, on the 19th of September 2015 and what a beautiful day that was! We are on the road as I write this, driving through scenic routes, with a village or a township appearing here and there.  We are a party of six: my mom, my two uncles, my two aunts and I and since my uncle is the resident DJ and co-pilot on this road trip, there is a Shangaan music blaring in the background.

I must say that the iconic and rhythmic instruments together with the simple yet creative lyrics invoke a sense of nostalgia. For some reason or the other it reminds of years gone by, at my grandparent’s home in Chiawelo, Soweto. On any given day outside, you could hear this kind of music playing somewhere a few houses down the road. The sweet melodies of Thomas Chauke-like music would be carried by the wind into Imha’s (that’s what we used to call my grandma, in my view that sounded a whole lot cooler than Kokwani!) kitchen while she went about her business either making porridge getting ready to feed my cousin, Musa and I. I must really love food, because the most enduring memories that I have as a kid of around 4 years at Imha’s house involve food, cooking, being fed or a combination thereof!

My aunt Rose and aunt Dudu are having a whale of a chat in the backseat, my mom and my two uncles are discussing a myriad of things that include politics, the philosophy of life vis-à-vis material wealth, an anecdote here and there about some policeman in some village and his encounter with a gang of criminals, oh yes and in true Malume Harry style, he just shared a quote by the Dalai Lama about the meaning of life. (As a side bar, if you are ever looking for a quote about anything, and I mean ANYTHING, from life, marriage, trees, cows, the sun, tv, shoes, mountains, ask him and he will not disappoint!).

I must say, what a blessing family is. This road-trip has made me stop and smell the roses. It has made me consciously appreciate each family unit as well as enjoy their company. My prayer is that as a family we continue from generation to generation to build on these strong family ties. Ok back to the road-trip, Malume Don our pilot has got this.

Cheers for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thinking Out Loud

Same WhatsApp Group?

#Mozgetaway